In news that dominated most of the United chat on Thursday, Manchester United have decided to honour Michael Carrick’s 11 yearlong trophy-filled Old Trafford career by giving him a testimonial match in June. Manchester United’s 2008 XI, boasting the likes of Edwin Van Der Sar and Rio Ferdinand will take on a Carrick all-star eleven including legends like Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Michael Owen. Carrick also hinted that will retire if isn’t given a new contract by United in the summer.
There has been positive news this week for United on the injury front. Henrikh Mkhitaryan has a high chance of making a return this week, although, if he doesn’t, he will certainly be ready to play Rostov in the Europa League. Phil Jones has also declared himself fit for the Bournemouth game on Saturday in an interview with MUTV.
Players Heap Praise On Mourinho
Ander Herrera and Antonio Valencia have heaped praise on their boss Jose Mourinho this week. Herrera said that “Mourinho has made us winners again,” while Valencia said that he has instilled the same confidence and belief in the squad as it was during the Fergie era and the atmosphere is also fantastic at the club now.
Zlatan Wants Stay
According to several reports, Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to sign a two year deal at United, instead of the one year option on his current deal. This news will be music to the ears of many United fans and officials who desperately want to see Zlatan stay. With a lot of interest shown in him from the CLS and the MLS, Zlatan stands in a good bargaining position to get his desired two year contract that will keep him at the club until the age of 37.
– Manchester United have been alerted to the availability of Marco Verratti. Reportedly, PSG are ready to sell Verratti at the right price which is thought to be about £70m.
– Antoine Griezmann is reportedly edging closer to a move to United with Atletico Madrid already looking at replacements.
– Wayne Rooney is reportedly ready to open to listening to offers from Everton. Rooney is expected to leave United at the end of the season and Ronald Koeman has openly talked about bringing him to Everton
– Jose Mourinho is looking at Harry Kane as a backup to Griezmann, according to reports in England.
That is it for the United news this today. I will leave you now with some interesting facts about our game vs Bournemouth.
– A Bournemouth goalkeeper has never kept a clean sheet against United at Old Trafford in in four previous attempts, conceding nine goals.
– Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored just one goal fewer in all competitions in 2017 (9) than Bournemouth (10).
– Manchester United’s next win in the Premier League will be their 600th and they would be the first side to achieve this.
– Wayne Rooney has scored a goal in each of his two previous appearances against Bournemouth.