Manchester United’s Premier League Roundup

Manchester United fell to a 2-1 home defeat against Manchester City, which extended the Blues’ lead at the top of the table to 11 points. David Silva scored after United failed to clear a City corner, and while Marcus Rashford equalised soon after, Romelu Lukaku’s poor clearance gave Nicolas Otamendi the chance to retake the lead, and he did not miss. A late wonder double-save by Ederson denied United an equaliser, and United’s 40 game unbeaten run at home is now over.

The defending champions Chelsea slipped at West Ham; Marko Arnautovic’s fine early goal proving enough to give David Moyes his first win as the Hammers’ manager. Spurs thrashed Stoke 5-1 at Wembley, with an own goal from Ryan Shawcross setting them on their way, and a Harry Kane brace alongside strikes from Son-Heung Min and Christian Eriksen completing the rout. The Stoke captain scored a late consolation goal to round things up. Swansea picked up a vital win at home against West Brom, as Wilfried Bony got a late winner to keep the Swans’ survival hopes alive.

Huddersfield had Steve Mounie to thank, as their recently-returned striker bagged both goals in a 2-0 win over fellow newbies Brighton. Crystal Palace and Bournemouth played out an extremely entertaining 2-2 draw at Selhurst Park. Jermain Defoe had given the Cherries and early lead, but Palace came from behind via a Luka Milivojevic penalty and a Scott Dann header. Defoe scored a wonderful, van Basten-esque volley from an acute angle to level things up in first-half stoppage time, and there was late drama as Christian Benteke missed an injury-time penalty for Palace.

Burnley’s remarkable form continued, as Scott Arfield’s goal was enough to beat a ten-man Watford side. This was Burnley’s fifth win in seven games; a result that leaves them two points off a Champions League place. In contrast, Newcastle’s woes continued; Ayoze Perez’s late own goal condemning them to a 2-3 home defeat against Leicester. Joselu had given the Magpies and early lead, which was lost after Demarai Gray and Riyad Mahrez’s goals. Dwight Gayle scored in the 73rd minute to potentially secure a point, before Perez’s late intervention.

Southampton managed to hold Arsenal to a 1-1 draw at St. Mary’s. Charlie Austin scored early, and it took a late Olivier Giroud equaliser to stop them from gaining all three points. The Merseyside derby too ended with both teams taking a share of the spoils, as Liverpool drew 1-1 with Everton. The Reds led through Mohamed Salah’s superb curled effort, and should have arguably put the game to bed long before Wayne Rooney’s penalty levelled the score.

United’s defeat means City are now 11 points ahead, with only 16 games having been played so far. While it is still too early to coronate them, it will take a collapse of epic proportions to stop Pep Guardiola’s men from winning the title now.